The Company has been granted 147 square kilometres (14,700 ha) in this highly prospective area. This project area is south of the government owned Kahatagaha and Kolongaha mine area.
Mining commenced at the Kahatagaha and Kolongaha in 1872 and by the end of the 1990s had produced in excess of 300,000 tonnes of carbon as graphite. The operation is managed by Kahatagaha Graphite Lanka Limited (KGLL) and exports 100% of the products produced to major clients in the U.S.A., United Kingdom, Japan, Australia, India and Pakistan.
The Pujapitiya grids also have prolific remnant graphite at surface and numerous abandoned underground shafts and audits. FGR has conducted site geological mapping and underground exploration. During the preliminary site visits several thin graphite veins are visible in the roadway and hillside cuttings. Minor veining is also visible in adit entrances.